[wplug] OT again: LaTeX primers

Cameron McBride cameron.mcbride at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 15:20:55 EDT 2005

> > One thing I wonder, though.  Can someone (Eric, maybe), point me to
> > some introductory and/or reference texts to TeX/LaTeX?
>
> By far the best book I've found on LaTex is "A Guide to LaTeX" by
> Kopka & Daly.  I usually end up referring to it when I'm doing
> anything non-trivial with latex, but it's also organized well enough
> to serve as a "quick start" guide or tutorial.

another good book that I recently borrowed from someone and have been
very pleased with is "Math Into LaTeX" by George Gratzer.  It also has
an intoduction and has some very nice examples that really match a lot
of what one wants. (it also includes stuff about AMS macros that make
your life easier).

HC, I'm not sure how familiar you are with text editors.  I like my
vim, but if you're looking for an environment, kile seems a very nice
project (it's Qt based, so requires KDE libs).  I've gotten one of my
friends to use it as a *nix based substitute to winedit.  Might help
you get started even if you choose not to use it.
   http://kile.sourceforge.net/

Cameron