[wplug] Mysteries of md5sum

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Tue Aug 2 14:59:33 EDT 2005

I've had a (possibly) similar problem on my laptop - it appears that
when doing an operation that reads in /dev/cdrom it's trying to read
the entire thing into memory before acting on the data.  Since I only
have 512MB installed (swap seems to be ignored for some reason), it
barfs with an I/O error 2/3 of the way in.

This hasn't been enough of an irritant for me to track down and fix,
but it definitely isn't limited to md5sum; cmp and dd fail as well,
and md5sum works perfectly on ISO images stored on the hard drive.
Things to look at might be automounting software or the ide-scsi
translation layer (or whatever it is that talks to CD drives these
days) in the kernel.