[wplug] Seeking 3 Sysadmins (Linux, Networking & Windows)

Kevin Squire gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Fri Apr 29 15:18:00 EDT 2005

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 14:27:50 -0400 (EDT) Russ Schneider
<russ at sugapablo.com> wrote:

> > The information contained in this e-mail message and its attachments
> > are intended only for the personal and confidential use of the named
> > recipient(s).  If you are neither the intended recipient nor the
> > person responsible for delivering to the intended recipient, you are
> > not authorized to and must not disclose, copy, distribute or retain
> > this e-mail or its attachments.  If you have received this
> > communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and
> > delete the original message.  E-mail is susceptible to data
> > corruption, interception, tampering, unauthorized amendment and
> > viruses.  We are not liable for data corruption, interception,
> > tampering, amendment or viruses or any consequences thereof.
>
> How in the world can statements like the above be considered binding
> in any way?  It seems analogous to me putting a sign on my car stating
> "By sharing the road with this vehicle and its driver, you assume all
> liability in the event of an accident.  The vehicle, its driver, and
> its occupants are to be held harmless from any legal action..." blah
> blah blah
>

> --
> [ Russ Schneider (a.k.a. Sugapablo)
>        ]
> [ http://www.sugapablo.net <--personal | http://www.sugapablo.com
> <--music    ][ http://www.2ra.org <--politcal       |
> http://www.subuse.net <--discuss     ]

My school makes us do the same thing, and it drives me nuts.  I have
asked a hundred times, to as many people, what good is it.  They all
reply with basically the same thing; "We don't know, but it shows we are
trying".  Here is what I found at http://www.emaildisclaimers.com that
answers the question "WHY?"

[QUOTE]
If you were to be so unlucky to be sued for the contents of an e-mail,
it is not certain whether an email disclaimer will protect you from
liability in a court of law. However, it will certainly help your case
and in some situations might exempt you from liability. More
importantly, it may well prevent the actual occurrence of lawsuits
against your company since the mere presence of the statement might
deter most persons from seeking legal compensation from your company.
Therefore the use of disclaimers is always recommended.
[/QUOTE]

But, I think more companys are doing because of this:

[QUOTE]
Convey professional image: By adding disclaimers your company conveys a
professional, trustworthy image. Apart from deterring any possible
adversaries from suing, it will convey awareness and professionalism to
your customers.
[/QUOTE]

The whole "keeping up with the Jones" kind of thing.