[wplug] Woke up this morning to a noisy machine...hard drives?

Jonathan Billings jsbillings at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 16:30:55 EDT 2005

On 4/28/05, Russ Schneider <russ at sugapablo.com> wrote:
> Actually, this turned out to be the power supply fan.  And replacing it on
> my Dell has proven frustrating as hell.  The supply itself has grooves in
> it to snap into the case so I can't just buy another generic power supply,
> and the fan is hardwired to the board inside the supply so I cant even
> replace the fan inside the damned thing.

One of the frustrating things about buying Dell hardware is that you
have to buy Dell replacement parts, it's nearly impossible to use
standard off-the-shelf parts in a dell apart from PCI cards, hard
drives and sometimes memory.  But if you have a hardware contract with
Dell, it's often nice to be able to just tell them you need a
replacement, and they'll have it to you the next day.  Not very nice
for the single-seat user, but nice in a department full of dell
workstations and servers.

--
  Jonathan Billings
jsbillings at gmail.com