[wplug] Woke up this morning to a noisy machine...hard drives?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Apr 28 08:05:18 EDT 2005

Russ Schneider <russ at sugapablo.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, William N. Powell wrote:
>
> > Check Cooling Fans First!
>
> It might be the fan, actually.
>
> If it is the fan, should I just clean it (too much dust unbalancing it) or
> would it need a new one?  The Hank Hill in me is scremaing WD-40, but I'll
> resist that for now.  :)

I would just replace it.  For the $10 it costs, it's not usually worth
fighting with.  The problem is that when it dies, you won't _hear_ anything,
it'll be completely silent until your system overheats.

This is The Fates' way of giving you a chance to fix the problem before it
gets bad.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies