[wplug] (OT) 32 more bits

Michael Semcheski lists at immuneit.com
Wed Apr 27 14:32:59 EDT 2005

Drew from Zhrodague wrote:
>>We can see how big a deal 64bit was for those Suns and Alphas.  They
>>just skyrocketed and left Intel in the dust.  Oh well, maybe Intel and
>>AMD can make up some market share.
>

> 	Totally, and look what 64 bit computing has done for Apple! I
> guess not much more than the wow-factor, pretty much on all fronts.
>
> 	My biggest complaint is with software, I think. With all the
> whiz-bang hardware available, it is quite pathetic where we currently sit
> -- and this is why we're all linterested in GNU/Linux et al.

Sorry for contradicting my own sarcastic post.  Also, I'm not trying to
be arguementative, but...  I just bought three 64 bit Xeon processors
today.  (One single processor system, one dual processor system.)

Personally, I think software bloat is overrated.  For many things, I can
not tell the difference between a Pentium 3 and an Athlon 64.  Both are
fast enough for normal GUI use that processor tends to stay idle.

Here are a few things I do that make me appreciate my processor and RAM:

Using portage and gentoo or BSD/ports.  Downloading, compiling and
building is fast enough to be comparable to finding the right package on
the web and installing via a package manager.  On an older machine, this
would take way too long.

Analyzing video or heavy duty graphics processing.  Thats what the
machines I bought today are for.  Having 12GB of RAM is not something I
value highly enough to purchase today, but it was worth a few dollars to
keep the option open as RAM prices move downward.

My own builds.  Less time spent watching the compiler == more code I can
write.

Actually, that list was a lot shorter than I expected it to be.

Mike