[wplug] (OT) 32 more bits

Chris Ott cott at acclamation.com
Wed Apr 27 14:07:44 EDT 2005

Drew from Zhrodague wrote:

> 	My biggest complaint is with software, I think. With all the
> whiz-bang hardware available, it is quite pathetic where we currently sit
> -- and this is why we're all linterested in GNU/Linux et al.

I'll agree with you here.

> 	As an example, I have a USB P5 glove interface, and 3D videocards.
> Like the P5, shutter-glasses are $20 from various vendors -- but where is
> my virtual reality? Not much other than a few demos and examples and
> press-releases.

Personally, I don't think any type of 3D display will ever catch on,
until it can make the viewer part of the scene. That rules out shutter
glasses and those 3D displays that we've seen on Slashdot recently.

What you really want for 3D (that's possible with today's technology) is
a helmet. Have you priced those lately? Let's see, do I want a Humvee,
or a 3D helmet...

If helmets would come down in price, you'd probably be seeing some
really cool 3D software. Remember: we have the source to Quake, now. :-)

> 	I think that a Palm Pilot has enough computing power for surfing,
> email, and systems administration. Software is so bloated today, where we
> need a 3Ghz machine with 2 gigs of RAM to do the same things we all did 10
> years ago on our 90Mhz pentiums -- with little innovation, save a few
> bells and whistles.

I'll *definitely* agree with you here.

Chris