[wplug] (OT) 32 more bits

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Wed Apr 27 13:22:44 EDT 2005

> We can see how big a deal 64bit was for those Suns and Alphas.  They
> just skyrocketed and left Intel in the dust.  Oh well, maybe Intel and
> AMD can make up some market share.

	Totally, and look what 64 bit computing has done for Apple! I
guess not much more than the wow-factor, pretty much on all fronts.

	My biggest complaint is with software, I think. With all the
whiz-bang hardware available, it is quite pathetic where we currently sit
-- and this is why we're all linterested in GNU/Linux et al.

	As an example, I have a USB P5 glove interface, and 3D videocards.
Like the P5, shutter-glasses are $20 from various vendors -- but where is
my virtual reality? Not much other than a few demos and examples and
press-releases.

	I think that a Palm Pilot has enough computing power for surfing,
email, and systems administration. Software is so bloated today, where we
need a 3Ghz machine with 2 gigs of RAM to do the same things we all did 10
years ago on our 90Mhz pentiums -- with little innovation, save a few
bells and whistles.

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		Location Based WiFi