[wplug] (OT) 32 more bits

Jonathan Billings jsbillings at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 23:12:47 EDT 2005

On 4/26/05, Patrick Wagstrom <pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> So where is this going to be helpful?  Well, intel has a hokey problem
> when you get up to about 1G of ram, which many systems are reaching
> today (in Linux you need to install a BigMem kernel to get around this).
> The x86-64 gets around this nicely.  Also, with the additional SIMD
> registers multimedia stuff should get a nice little improvement.

You might see speed improvements due to a faster VM too, since the OS
doesn't have to play games pretending that there really is only 2G of
RAM.  I know the linux VM devopers have done a good job optimising the
4G and 64G memory VMs, but I'd have to think that having hardware
support must be faster.

--
  Jonathan Billings
jsbillings at gmail.com