[wplug] (OT) 32 more bits

Michael A. Smith michael at smith-li.com
Tue Apr 26 18:37:53 EDT 2005

I recall back before the Itanium scandal there were some benchmarks at
which 64-bit machines did not fare better than their half-bitted cousins.

I suspect that those numbers were primarily due to the fact that those
64-bit machines had to do a great deal of 32-bit emulation. 64-bit
machines are doubtless somewhat faster than 32-bit machines now.

One of the major benes of 64-bit architecture is the removal of the 4GB
memory limit. 64-bit machines can theoretically have, what, 2TB of memory?
That's enough to store most any database I can imagine (although the
military can probably astound my limited imagination) entirely in memory,
which is A Good Thing.

OTOH, 2TB of memory isn't all that useful for Joe User right now, but it
might be in the future.

I don't know much about the direct improvements in speed that 64-bit
arches will bring. I suspect increases in processing
speed/bogoMIPS/zippedydoodahs will be due as much to bus, processor,
software and motherboard architecture improvements as to more address
space.

Peace,
Mike