[wplug] Super Upgrade

Michael Semcheski lists at immuneit.com
Mon Apr 25 14:37:52 EDT 2005

Brian Sammon wrote:
> Some random comments: Do you have a slink CD?  Is the slink pcmcia-cs
>  package on the CD?  Did you try it?  What happened?

I installed slink from floppy images -- I believe the pcmcia stuff was
in the rescue file.  (Its a bin file, and I'm not sure how to get into
it.  I used the loadlin.exe program to boot the rescue from Windows 95).

> I have a Debian 2.2 CD you can borrow.

I may take you up on this, but it looks I'm able to get onto the FTP
site below...

> Alternately, you find an FTP archive (but no ISOs) at
> ftp://35.9.37.225/debian-archive/dists/ Trying to upgrade in one step
>  to a Debian version that is 2 or more versions newer (i.e 2.1->3.0,
> 2.2->testing/sarge), is likely to lead you into a few problems. APT
> is available for slink in the admin/ category (it may not be on your
> CD, but it's on the FTP site)

I feel like if I can get PCMCIA working, the usefulness of this old
laptop will increase signficantly.  Its not that important to me to have
an up to date distribution, though.  I guess the upgrade I was referring
to was Windows 95 to Linux 2.0, which is a Super Upgrade.

Mike