[wplug] Super Upgrade

Michael Semcheski lists at immuneit.com
Mon Apr 25 01:09:52 EDT 2005

Hey everybody,

I've got this old IBM Thinkpad 365.  Its got 8Mb of RAM, 100Mhz pentium,
and a 500MB hard disk, and a fast ethernet pcmcia card.  I'm trying to
get something going with it.

When I acquired it, it had Windows 95.  Of course that wasn't useful,
and I wouldn't be posting here if it had stayed Windows 95.  The trick
with this thing is that it has a CD ROM (which you can't boot from) and
no floppy drive.

I installed debian 2.1* (slink) from windows 95, and completely
reformatted the hard drive.  It now boots to debian 2.1 via LILO, but I
don't have PCMCIA working.

So here's the predicament.  I want to get that network card working.  I
need to install PCMCIA support from a CD by any means available.

I have no idea how to do this, and I'm not sure what my strategy should
be.  Support for such an old Debian is pretty hard to come by (lots of
dead links).

Any thoughts?  I'm willing to go along a 'linux from scratch' path, but
its not my preference.

Mike

*Because of the 8MB of RAM, it was difficult to find an install that
would run from a RAM disk small enough.