[wplug] Alternatives to vmware

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Fri Apr 22 13:34:18 EDT 2005

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Michael P. O'Connor wrote:

> I was wondering if there are any good free alternatives to vmware?  it
> would have to just be able to run a copy of linux under linux.

I'm using vserver from http://linux-vserver.org/. It's something similar
to chroot, but additional abilities to restrict the virtual environments.
For example, it limits them to only bind to an IP address you permit.
You'll have to read the documentation for youself to see what else it
supports. It's based on the capabilities framework in the kernel if I
remember correctly.

I'm currently running 3 machines this way. The base machine with is fedora
1 (for kernel version reasons), and two guests which are running fedora 3.

-james