[wplug] Free Welcome to Linux Kit Offer WAS: RE: only for people with time(about linux)

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Wed Apr 20 17:36:37 EDT 2005

Hello,

I recently mailed out 8 "kits" as described below. If you want one and you
did not get one, please send me your US mail address
bethlynn at wplug dot org

If you have recently received a kit, I would like any feedback (positive
or negative).

Since many people asked questions about the "Free Welcome to Linux Kit"
I thought I'd post a FAQ

Why are you doing this?
Many curious computer users have emailed me over the years to ask
something to the effect of "What distribution should I buy and where
should I go to buy it?" Typically I respond by inviting the person to the
popular distros are available to borrow while at the installfest. In order
to get the person using Linux before the installfest, I have on many
occasions offered to send the person a Knoppix CD. Everyone so far has
accepted. The "kit" was the next obvious step.

What does this cost?
I would like the kits to be "free as in beer" because I firmly believe
that LUGs should never become a business. Of course the actual
production costs are not $0.0. If you use a bubble mailer, it costs about
$2.50 to put together. If you use an envelope, it costs $1.50.

How can I help?
* Contribute materials - media, cd sleeves, stamps, bubble mailers
* Volunteer your time towards distribution effort
* Donate the the general wplug fund
* Obtain other live-cd style distros, partially ones that use non x86
processors
* Suggest additional kit content

What are the contents of the "Free Welcome to Linux Kit"
* a copy of Knoppix
* Phil Jones' "Knowing Knoppix" on CDrom
http://www.pjls16812.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/knowing-knoppix/index.html
* Hard copy of "What Is Linux?"
http://web.mit.edu/jonas/www/faim/whatislinux.pdf
* Hard copy of a command line tutorial
http://www.satlug.org/present/presentation-03.00.html
* The latest "The Open Pitt"
  http://www.wplug.org/top
* A schedule of WPLUG's upcoming events
* A wplug business card

In future versions I may add the slides and audio from the last Linux
Basics tutorial on the same cd as "Knowing Knoppix"
http://www.wplug.org/meetings/one-meeting?wp_meeting_id=3142
and a paper explaining what everything is and how to use it.

Thank you for your support,

Beth Lynn