[wplug] OT -- Hoax Information Websites

Doug Green diego96 at mac.com
Wed Apr 20 10:10:27 EDT 2005

I also get some of this garbage, so I'd love to see some kind of reasonable
solution. Currently, I "bounce" each spam-mail back to the sender so that it
looks like the message didn't go through (it doesn't work very well).

I think it would be cool to have a script keep track of the number of spams
sent from an individual. It could then send an email reply (after a bounce)
that says (more/less) "this is spam, please don't send me this stuff, here's
a list of websites for information". It would then increase the number of
replies for each new spam sent by the person (so on offense #2, they get 2
replies, etc). Eventually one would hope that the perp would actually read
the replies.

Obviously, this wouldn't work for the "real" spammers out there, but it
seems like a reasonable way to fend off the unintentional ones. Besides,
it's always easier to blame your computer about such things than to be
informing/confrontational ("yeah, my computer just does that automatically,
nothing I can do about it"). :)

-Doug