[wplug] adding new drives [Done]

Chris Romano romano.chris at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 08:46:33 EDT 2005

On 4/19/05, Keir Josephson <keir at pastadish.com> wrote:

> On Apr 18, 2005, at 3:07 PM, Chris Romano wrote:
>
> > I just installed Slack 10.1 on an older windows box.  It has 6 SCSI
> > drives.  During the install, slack only picked up the first disk.  I
> > just installed everything under "/".  After install I did the
> > following for the other five disks.
> >
> > # fdisk /dev/sdb
> >    d (delete part)
> >    n (new part)
> >    p (primary)
> >    1 (1st one)
> >    w (write)
> >
> > # mkfs.reiserfs /dev/sdb1
> >
> > I can can new create directorys and mount those disks to each
> > directory.  Now this is where I need some help.  I want to have them
> > mounted something like this:
> > sda3 /
> > sdb1 /home
> > sdc1 /tmp
> > sdd1 /var
> > sde1 /var/log
> > sdf1 something
> >
> > so would I do something like this:
> >
> > # cp -R /home /monted/sdb1
> >
> > for each disk then add the entries to fstab?
> > /dev/sdb1   /home    reiserfs       ?????    ?   ?
>
> I would mount /dev/sdb1 as /hometemp. Copy the data with a cp -rp
> command. This way you can verify that everything was transferred by
> comparing the output of
>
> # ls -R /home | wc -l
> with
> # ls -R /hometemp | wc -l
>
> You could also check file sizes if you needed to. But, once I was
> satisfied that the content was transferred to my satisfaction, I'd then
> update the fstab to point /home to /dev/sdb1 and reboot.

Well, I was able to do this yesterday.  I tried to use Knoppix but I
ran into some problems. It kept mounting the drives in virtual ram.
So I kept running out of space.  I just booted back into Slack and
copied the files using cp -Rp.  I then renamed the original dirs,
changed the fstab, and rebooted.  I went very smoothly.  A little to
smoothly but it all works.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Chris Romano