[wplug] adding new drives

Keir Josephson keir at pastadish.com
Tue Apr 19 22:24:57 EDT 2005

On Apr 18, 2005, at 3:07 PM, Chris Romano wrote:

> I just installed Slack 10.1 on an older windows box.  It has 6 SCSI
> drives.  During the install, slack only picked up the first disk.  I
> just installed everything under "/".  After install I did the
> following for the other five disks.
>
> # fdisk /dev/sdb
>    d (delete part)
>    n (new part)
>    p (primary)
>    1 (1st one)
>    w (write)
>
> # mkfs.reiserfs /dev/sdb1
>
> I can can new create directorys and mount those disks to each
> directory.  Now this is where I need some help.  I want to have them
> mounted something like this:
> sda3 /
> sdb1 /home
> sdc1 /tmp
> sdd1 /var
> sde1 /var/log
> sdf1 something
>
> so would I do something like this:
>
> # cp -R /home /monted/sdb1
>
> for each disk then add the entries to fstab?
> /dev/sdb1   /home    reiserfs       ?????    ?   ?

I would mount /dev/sdb1 as /hometemp. Copy the data with a cp -rp
command. This way you can verify that everything was transferred by
comparing the output of

# ls -R /home | wc -l
with
# ls -R /hometemp | wc -l

You could also check file sizes if you needed to. But, once I was
satisfied that the content was transferred to my satisfaction, I'd then
update the fstab to point /home to /dev/sdb1 and reboot.

-Keir