[wplug] suggestions on Unix/Linux machines at Pitt labs?

Jonathan Billings jsbillings at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 15:44:12 EDT 2005

On 4/18/05, Juan Zuluaga <jz31416 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I guess my question was badly written. 20 Mbs of space
> in AFS are fine, I guess. Where I would like to have
> more space is at the specific workstation where I'm
> sitting. Why the workstation space has to be the same
> as the AFS space?

Your home directory is in AFS.  It's backed up.  It's got redundant
backends.  It's got authentication and access control lists.  That's
why AFS is popular in large unix environments.

One thing that might be possible, although hard to manage, would be to
have a local home directory created for you every time you log on, and
you'd have to be careful to copy over your saved files before logging
out.  This isn't a simple thing to set up, and most casual users
wouldn't understand that the file they just spent an hour typing was
deleted shortly after they logged out.

I can understand why the home directory is left as AFS, because
anything else requires a lot of overhead to manage per-workstation.

--
  Jonathan Billings
jsbillings at gmail.com