[wplug] Moving to new computer

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at alumni.cmu.edu
Mon Apr 18 06:17:02 EDT 2005

On Saturday 16 April 2005 18:54, Greg Akins wrote:
> 2 questions.
>
> 1.  I am planning on getting a new computer.  My current computer
> (Mandrake 9.2)  I would love to get as much stuff transfered as
> possible without worrying about reinstalling everything individually.
>  This seems like a lot to ask, but is there an easy way to move an
> existing installation to a new computer?

A more generic reference than what the others already said (which is how
I do it too, by the way), would be
http://ldp.wplug.org/HOWTO/Hard-Disk-Upgrade/index.html

> 2.  I think my biggest problem is that I don't consistently install
> programs in the same place.  Some are in my home directly, some are
> installed from RPMs and go to /usr... Some are installed from "make
> install"...  What do more experienced users to to ensure they're
> systems are more manageable?

Modern distros should take care of that by providing packaged versions
of whatever a user would need. I use Debian, but I think that Fedora
would fit the bill too.

Generally don't use many methods (package management systems) for doing
the same thing (install/maintain software).

-A