[wplug] Directions to the meeting -- suggestions for improvement

David Nayberg dnayberg at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 15:55:16 EDT 2005

Hi everyone. This is my first post, and last Saturday was my first visit --
which I very much enjoyed. But I confess that on my way there I almost
twisted my two hemispheres trying to wrap my brain around those two maps of
yours ( http://www.wplug.org/pages/wplugmap), one of them wrong side up and
the other wrong side down. :)

So here is a revisionary draft of the thing. I envision it to be accompanied
by two maps: a campus plan similar to what you have now but with North
pointing up, and an enlarged view of Newell Simone and its immediate
surroundings, including the suggested parking place and the walk around.
 ***

As a first time visitor you will face two grave challenges: first – to find
your way to Newell Simon, second – to find your way from there to the
meeting room.

1. Finding your way to Newell Simon

Newell Simon is a large, square, relatively new, five-story [is it five? I
wasn't paying attention] building hidden in a deep hollow at the Western
border of the campus.

If you are driving *up *Forbes Ave, West to East (from Downtown towards
Squirrel Hill), take – *if you can* -- the first right into the campus and
follow a torturous alley down into that deep hollow until you see an
entrance to Newell Simon on your right (we call it the *<A>* entrance) and a
parking lot on your left. (You'll be facing Wean Hall at this point – a huge
grey 12[?]-story building).

*If you can not* take that first right (the gate is occasionally locked),
take the next right into the campus (Morrison [?] street), then another
right (Margaret Morrison street) and, keeping to the right, circle your way
all around the campus to that same place between Newell Simon and Wean Hall.
WARNING: The last section of the circle is tricky. As you turn from Frew
street into "Roberts Drive" (between Porter and Scaife) the roadway gets
very tight (between Hamerschlag and Roberts). Use your mirrors before you
proceed to make sure nobody else is driving.

If you are driving *down* Forbes Ave, from East to West (from Squirrel Hill
towards Downtown), turn left instead of right. Otherwise the directions are
the same as above.

2. Finding your way to Newell Simon 1507 meeting room

You have three options:

*<A>* is the East entrance at the first floor level and is probably the
easiest. All you have to do is enter a small glass lobby and dial 8-7564.
One of us will come over to let you in and guide you to the meeting room.

*<B>* is the West entrance at the first floor level. This is the most
convenient entrance for the initiated: it requires no assistance and lets
you into the room directly from the outside. But you'll have to be an
adventurer to try it on your first visit. If you are, here is how:

Position yourself so that the *<A>* entrance is on your right. You'll be
facing Wean Hall (i.e. facing South). Walk for about thirty [?] yards and
turn right onto a pedestrian island between a downhill driveway on you right
(which goes deeper in the hollow along the South side of Newell Simon) and a
level driveway on your left (which goes along the North side of Wean Hall).
Follow that pedestrian ramp all the way along the South side of Newell Simon
and continue for some twenty[?] yards *past* it. Then, keeping to the right,
loop around (see the map) back to the West side of Newell Simon. There will
be a glass door opening directly into the meeting room. WARNING: this option
is not recommended in icy weather.

*<C>* is the North entrance to Newell Simon at the 3rd floor level (above
the hollow). This is an option of last resort. As with the *<A>* option, all
you have to do is to dial 8-7564 from a small lobby between two glass doors
and someone will come and get you.

***
 That's all I have. It covers the bulk of it. Do not hesitate to pick it
apart or to build upon it. Do hesitate to ignore it! :)
 --David