[Fwd: Re: [wplug] Moving to new computer]

Mike Procario lists at procario.org
Sat Apr 16 14:04:39 EDT 2005

Greg Akins wrote:

>2 questions.
>
>1.  I am planning on getting a new computer.  My current computer
>(Mandrake 9.2)  I would love to get as much stuff transfered as possible
>without worrying about reinstalling everything individually.  This seems
>like a lot to ask, but is there an easy way to move an existing
>installation to a new computer?
>
>2.  I think my biggest problem is that I don't consistently install
>programs in the same place.  Some are in my home directly, some are
>installed from RPMs and go to /usr... Some are installed from "make
>install"...  What do more experienced users to to ensure they're systems
>are more manageable?
>
>Any pointers to more information would be greatly appreciated.

In the finest tradition of mailing lists, I will not actually answer the
question, but go off on a tangent and discuss why your situation is not
a problem for me and then bring up what is a problem for me. ;-)

For me a new computer is an excuse for a new distro. My requirements
tend to be simple so any distro meets them.

Firefox, mutt, vim, gnucash, python, openoffice.

My bigger problem has tended to be drivers. Is the new computer's video
card, sound card, etc  supported on my current  distro or will I need to
upgrade or completely switch distros.

--
Mike Procario
"Another casualty of applied metaphysics" -Calvin and Hobbes