[wplug] RE: New users like Linux better?

Bob Supansic rsupansic at libcom.com
Fri Apr 15 10:56:20 EDT 2005

Bill Moran wrote:

> Interesting take.  Looks like it's easier to hook them than convert them.
> People don't like to change, even if it's to something better:
> http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/0,2000061733,39187298,00.htm

My experience is that there are two kinds of computer users:
those who like to play with computers and those who don't.
Most software and its documentation is written for the first
group which puts the second group at a real disadvantage,
even though I would guess that, in most organizations, they
form about 50 percent of the workforce.

The "ease of use" issue is one which the Open Source
movement should focus on and exploit because Microsoft is,
by all that I can see, committed to its opposite for
strictly economic reasons.  Difficult-to-use software
produces revenue streams from "education" -- books,
seminars, certifications, etc -- as well as a false sense of
security and status for those "in the know".

And yet ease of use seems to have a very low priority in the
design of software.  The example of Open Office is
instructive: it continues to try to ape the Microsoft Office
  interface, which in my opinion is astoundingly poor for
such a widely-used program.

The theory is that this is the way to capture Microsoft
Office users.  This theory is wrong, I think, because it
misreads the "popularity" of Microsoft's software.  The
great majority of people who say "I love Windows" or "I love
Word" have never had experience with an alternative.  The
commitment expressed in the word "love" has to do with, more
than anything, a desire to not have to repeat the awful
learning experience which got them to their current level of
competence.  And I believe Microsoft is quite conscious of
this marketing fact.

The lesson of Microsoft's success is: capture the new users
and force them to endure a learning experience they will
never want to repeat.  The lesson to the Open Source
movement is: capture the new users and give them a standard
of ease of use that will make Office seem like a bad joke.