[wplug] Ftp to websites

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Apr 15 09:34:01 EDT 2005

"Arnaud Loos" <arnaud at arnaudloos.com> wrote:

> Given the recent discussion on ftp vs sftp I have a question regarding web
> hosting. My current service only allows ftp to upload files to my site. Sftp
> is not provided, with the explanation being that I have purchased hosting
> services and not a shell account. This always kinda bothered me and I'm just
> curious if this is the norm. Do people pay extra for hosting and a shell
> account just so they can use sftp? If not, I guess I'll have to look up the
> thread on hosting providers from a while back an make a change.

Yes, this is the norm.

In order to provide web hosting for sub $10/month, providers can't provide
real service.  The fact that it's insecure is something you just accept.

There are providers who will give you secure access, but you'll pay more.
Consider the actual value of your data.  Most web site (i.e. "personal
home pages") aren't important enoough to bother defacing.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies