[wplug] System file permission, owner and group auditing utility - Options

Poyner, Brandon bpoyner at ccac.edu
Tue Apr 12 10:19:41 EDT 2005

I wouldn't say nobody can touch your Tripwire configuration, it's just
that most script kiddies wouldn't know any better.  Assuming I have the
file permission rights (right after the r00tkit is installed) I could
certainly go in and blow away your tripwire configuration and replace it
with my own and even reinitialize the database so that everything looks
clean after a 'tripwire --check'.  You might not even know better until
you try to go in and make configuration changes and the passwords no
longer work.  That's part of the reason they recommend you keep a recent
copy of the .twd file some place else, say a CD-R.

For what it's worth there is also commercial support for Tripwire and it
can run on multiple platforms (Windows included).  Tripwire is located
in the Fedora Core Extras beginning with Core 3.

Brandon Poyner
Network Engineer III
CCAC - College Office
412-237-3086