[wplug] Subversive etc

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Apr 12 09:00:35 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 19:48 -0400, Michael A. Smith wrote:
> Hey, all, has anyone ever put /etc/ under version control? I'm trying it
> now with Subversion, but I'd like to hear if anyone has hit any bumps
> doing this before. My /etc doesn't change all that often, but it's nice
> to know I can easily revert changes if I need.

I keep my /etc directory and my entire home directory under subversion.
There are few directories in my home that I have it ignore (netscape
cache, etc), but I've not hit any hiccups with it.  It's VERY handy for
finding older revisions of files.  Using
Subversion/CVS/Arch/Bazaar/Whatever really shouldn't do much to your
actual files.  It just creates additional files (and subdirectories)
that are used to manage the repository functionality.

--Patrick