[wplug] dumb terminal question

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Sun Apr 10 19:11:51 EDT 2005

Sometime in April Carl Benedict assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| I'm not sure if you are looking for a way to login via the serial port
| to your servers

This would be fine, but I don't have a serial port on the laptop. I'd have
to get some kind of usb to serial port adapter.

|, or if you want something more robust like a remote X
| session.  I'm not sure how/if you could do the latter without using the
| network. If so, surely someone else has wanted to do this as well?  Or
| perhaps you are thinking of a more KVM-like solution?

I'm not looking for a remote X solution. I can already do that over the
network. I'm looking for a solution where I can use the keyboard and video
of my laptop to access the server when something goes wrong and the network
isn't an option.

| As far as login via serial - if you are running Linux on the Powerbook,
| you could use minicom to login as you would via telnet/ssh/console.

I'm running OS 10.3.8, but I assume I could probably install minicom with
fink. I guess the only hiccup here is finding a serial to usb adaptor.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key B23241CB