[wplug] dumb terminal question

Carl Benedict cbenedic at pittsburghtechs.com
Sun Apr 10 18:42:30 EDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-10 at 18:30, John Harrold wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is possible, but this is what I want to do. I have a
> couple servers running Debian, and I've replaced my home computer with a
> powerbook. As a result, I no longer have a monitor. Is it possible to
> either:
>
>    o configure the laptop to act as a dumb terminal through a terminal
>      application to access the servers directly --- as opposed to over the
>      net.
>
>    o take the video output and keyboard inputs of a server and plug that
>      into some special device that I could plug into either the firewire or
>      usb ports of my  laptop and access a server in a more straightforward
>      way through some terminal application.

I'm not sure if you are looking for a way to login via the serial port
to your servers, or if you want something more robust like a remote X
session.  I'm not sure how/if you could do the latter without using the
network. If so, surely someone else has wanted to do this as well?  Or
perhaps you are thinking of a more KVM-like solution?

As far as login via serial - if you are running Linux on the Powerbook,
you could use minicom to login as you would via telnet/ssh/console.

--
Carl Benedict
Pittsburgh Techs
cbenedic at pittsburghtechs.com