[wplug] To server host or not to server host.....

Russ Schneider russ at sugapablo.com
Wed Apr 6 21:49:23 EDT 2005

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, David Kraus wrote:

> Personally, I would try to run my own server.  Just for the fun of it.

I have 7 domains that own and I have a mix of solutions.

3 I host on my home server.  I have a higher tier DSL with static IP.  It
pretty much started off for fun and learning and developed into something
quite valuable to me now.

1 I host on my boss's server (with permission of course).

3 sites are housed at http://www.powweb.com.  One of the biggest reasons
to host at a reliable ISP was for email.  While I've had almost no down
time on my home box over the past couple of years (with the exception of
one BAD dselect incident), I just don't trust it enough to risk missing an
important email yet.

But again, beyond just the fun of it, I've learned a hell of a lot trying
to keep my home server up, running, and doing what I want it to do.

--
[ Russ Schneider (a.k.a. Sugapablo)                                           ]
[ http://www.sugapablo.net <--personal | http://www.sugapablo.com  <--music   ]