[wplug] To server host or not to server host.....

Carl Benedict cbenedic at pittsburghtechs.com
Wed Apr 6 20:05:55 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 19:53, Robert E. Coutch wrote:
> That is the question.
>
> I realize this topic comes up more often than hairballs from an angora.
> This question is SLIGHTLY different.
>
> I (and a group of like minded individuals) are looking at minimum to have a
> website and forums.  The forums can be phpbb2 or something similar.
> The website and forums will probably have hundreds of hits per day on a busy
> day.
> We already have a domain name and would need that pointed to the new server.
>
> I've tossed around the following ideas.
>
> 1 - Find a hosting service that offers these exact services (if such a hoster
> exists).
> 2 - Rent a server with enough bandwidth. Install Linux, Apache, php, etc. and
> run the whole thing ourselves.
> 3 - Get a business DSL line to my home and set up a server here to do all
> this.
>
> I'm not sure which is most cost effective but I would guess choice number 1.
>
> I could sure use the group's collective thought's and advice on this.
> Suggest some companies if you can.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

I myself have done #1 and #3.  My experience is that #1 is cheaper than
#3.  If I have it right, you are saying that #2 would be that you rent a
box, much like #3, except you have complete control of it, correct?

I use a host called DreamHost (www.dreamhost.com).  The only gripe I
have is that they have had an outage or two for several hours
(unscheduled) in the last 2 years.  I am thinking this is because of the
tier of service I selected...  At any rate, I took a look, and you can
host with them as low was $7.95/month.  This is on a shared box though,
but it is full of features.

--
Carl Benedict
Pittsburgh Techs