[wplug] OT: WTO was: Re: What is this World Intellectual Property Concept that RMS is pushing?

William N. Powell billpwl1 at verizon.net
Wed Apr 6 10:30:59 EDT 2005

John Harrold wrote:

> This happens both ways. We were subsidizing our steel industry for years
> until a complaint was filed with the WTO and eventually Bush got rid of the
> steel subsidies.

Actually, Japan and China and other governments subsidize their own
steel production so that those companies can sell(dump) the steel to the
American Markets at a price that is less that it costs them to make the
steel,(and MUCH ,MUCH lower than we can make it here with our labor
costs.)But, Since that the production of the steel is an internal matter
and one not directly involving international trade, the WTO doesn't
concern themselves with that!

Bush placed tariffs on the imported steel, which the WTO considers bad.
  This could be considered the government subsidizing the US steel
industry, but most view it as protectionism of the US Steel industry,
which is good for them, but generally bad for the steel consumer as it
raises steel prices.

my $.02
let the flame wars begin!

bill