[wplug] What is this World Intellectual Property Concept that RMS is pushing?

Duncan Hutty dhutty+wplug at ece.cmu.edu
Wed Apr 6 08:12:31 EDT 2005

On 04/05/2005 11:09 PM, Zachary Uram wrote:
> would international IP disputes be settled by World Court?
> how do you enforce IP laws in countries which don't recognize them?
> to take analogy from computer security you have black hat attackers
> who can attack US sites at will without fear of US extradition and prosecution.
> how does one recup financial costs from such an incident from legal perspective?

On an individual or corporate basis, you can't enforce laws in countries
where those laws do not exist. Frequently this is a good thing. Imagine
if the laws of such countries as North Korea, China, dare I say it,
France were enforceable in the USA.

On a long term basis, the required approach is international or domestic
pressure to change the law, which is what we see here.
--
Duncan Hutty
System Administrator, ECE

Please use informative subject lines