[wplug] case utility

Teodorski, Christopher Christopher.Teodorski at ddiworld.com
Mon Apr 4 16:45:27 EDT 2005

Here is my attempt at an explanation of the particular issue at hand:

A web application was written for Windows.  Thus allowing said
developers to play fast and loose with case, i.e. the file name is
myimage.jpg -- however in the code, it is referred to as MyImage.jpg and
myImage.jpg and mYiMage.jpg.    This works fine in Windows because as we
all know Windows is case insensitive (except when it isn't).

However, this application is looking for a new home on a *nix box and
features many 404's now because of the above mentioned case issue when
run on *nix.

The question is:  Is there a good way to grab a filename from a
directory -- and match it regardless of case within all files in the
directory and if a match is found replace it with the proper case.

It sounds to me like a job for Perl -- but I'm a Perl noob and it'd take
me some serious time to get my head wrapped around this (although I'm
going to give it the old college try).