[wplug] Quote of the day

David Ostroske eksortso at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 13:09:20 EDT 2005

On Mar 31, 2005 10:12 PM, James O'Kane <jo2y at midnightlinux.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, David Ostroske wrote:
>
> > That was a talk on sed and awk, in August 2001, IIRC. I didn't say
> > much about regular expressions.
>
> I missed that talk.

I used awk and sed a lot three years ago when I was working for Wesco.
It was a simple talk, but I was happy to give it. We'd had a lot of
uneventful meetings at the time, and I was afraid that we were
devolving into a monthly LAN party. So I gave the talk, and that sort
of set off a spark. We've had more and better talks since. I'm awfully
proud of that fact.

There were some support documents and links to websites accompanying
my talk, but those have probably been lost. Do we have a permanent
repository for discussion docs on the WPLUG website now?

> For my talk, I'm going to try and be language independent, while pointing
> out some of the common differences. I'm also aiming for practical uses
> rather than theory. I have the O'Reilly book, so I'll be relying on that
> heavily. We'll see how it turns out after I write it.

I'm looking forward to it, James. There's never really been a
universal "gold standard" for regular expressions (although Perl 5
comes close, I've discovered). So anything you can do to make them
easy to understand and worthwhile will be a step in the right
direction.

--
David Ostroske <eksortso at gmail.com>