[wplug] BSD help?

Michael Semcheski lists at immuneit.com
Sat Apr 2 14:17:06 EST 2005

Zachary Uram wrote:

> Can this can install to my hard drive?

I don't know about this, but you'll probably have good luck with the
latest release ISO (5.3, I think).

> How can I setup LILO to boot up BSD or must BSD use it's own boot
> loader? Right now I have LILO setup to do a Linux/Windows98 dual
> boot.

I don't know about LILO, but this is what's in my grub.conf:

title=Gentoo
root (hd2,0)
kernel /kernel-2.6.9 root=/dev/sdb3

title=FreeBSD
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1

title=Windows 2000
rootnoverify(hd0,1)
chainloader + 1
makeactive

So you can see some of the differences between Linux, Windows, and BSD.
Note that you're using Linux and Windows 98, I'm using 2k.

The setup for FreeBSD and Windows 2000 are very similar.  (Obviously
they're on different drives).  The chainloader +1 is basically telling
grub to pass off the boot sequence to another loader, rather than
for one reason or another.  FreeBSD doesn't.

When I select FreeBSD from the grub menu, FreeBSD's bootloader starts
works just fine.  By default, if you don't press a key for 10 seconds it
boots your default kernel.  So it feels like the only time I have to
make a choice at bootup is in grub (unless I want the default).

> Also can anyone point me to some recommended resources (esp. online)
> to get me started in BSD from both a user and sysadmin perspective?
> Thanks!

Go to freebsd.org, and look at the handbook.  Its very good, and if you
read from the start to the finish as you're setting up your machine,
you'll be in very good shape.

Then, when you become a full fledged demon lover, check out the Design
and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System (Addison-Wesley).

Mike