[wplug] Printer issues.

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at alumni.carnegiemellon.edu
Thu Sep 30 02:02:24 EDT 2004

On Thursday 30 September 2004 08:29, Karlos Abel wrote:
> First things first:
>
> SuSE 9.1 Professional on an HP a430n, kernel 2.6.5-7.108-default
>
> Printer: Epson Stylus CX5400 all-in-one using the Epson Stylus 5200
> drivers, as recommended by all sorts of helpful webfolk.
>
> Further details: the Epson Stylus CX5200 Footmati/gimp-print
> (recommended) model is what comes up in the KDE control
> panel:peripherals:printers.  I'm printing through CUPS, it tells me.
>
> The Linux printing area is VERY new to me, so I'm not sure if that's
> the correct information to provide.
>
> I'm trying to print from Dia (the diagram program) and/or the GIMP
> and all I get is page after costly page of the string -!s8w-.  I
> obviously don't have the right print drivers installed, but
> everything I read says that I do.
>
> If anyone knows a quick fix, I'd love to have it, but more
> importantly, if anyone knows the nature of the problem and how I
> could go about rectifying it on my own, I'd really appreciate it.

Linux printing is still far from standardized :-(

A quick workaround I'm thinking for this case is:

>From Dia, print to file (*.ps)
>From konqueror, click on the ps file to open it in kghostview.
Print the file from there.

If KDE has properly detected your printer, it should work. Printing from
non-KDE applications is a different issue, usually worked around by
selecting "kprinter --stdin" as your printing device.

Cheers

-A