[wplug] Should this be a concern? (var/log/messages snippet)

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Mon Sep 27 15:29:51 EDT 2004

Sometime in September Mike assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Sep 27 05:05:50 ccbox kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComple...
| Sep 27 05:05:50 ccbox kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, ...
| Sep 27 05:05:50 ccbox kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:03 (hda), sector 75...
| Sep 27 05:07:13 ccbox kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComple...
| Sep 27 05:07:13 ccbox kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, ...
|
| How servere are these, should a new drive be top priority?  I get them
| every once in awhile?

I've got a computer here that's been giving me those types of
errors:

 dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
 dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }

I've neem getting them on my workstation for years. Since all of our data
is stored on a file server, I've never replaced it. On the other hand my
computer at home started giving me crazy errors and I've got a new drive on
the way from western digital. The errors my disk at home were giving me
were more like yours:

http://wplug.org/pipermail/wplug/2004-September/023227.html

I'd make sure that you backup anything important. From what I've read, it's
either a disk or a cable. The cable is easy enough to check.

If you read the thread above. My solution was to change out the cable and
run badblocks and smartctl. I couldn't access my disk at all and smartctl
basically said it was dead.

This was a link someone posted which was really useful for me:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com

Since I don't have windows, making the boot disks western digital provides
would have been a pain in the arse.  The ultimate boot cd makes using these
diagnostics much easier.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E