[wplug] found only one cpu in a dual cpus computer

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Wed Sep 22 20:32:23 EDT 2004

Hello,

While the problem very well could be in the kernel configuration, did you
ever consider this could be a hardware problem?

I only say this because I have had the pleasure of experiencing multiple
shady whitebox dealers....

Please look inside the box itself and check that you have two processors.

If you do, don't stop there. Double check the motherboard manual to make
sure that it can take dual 2600's.

One time I saw a system that was a dual Athlon but it if you wanted the
motherboard to see both processors you had to use two 1700 processors. And
guess what, system was shipped with two 2100's. The system still booted
but the bios would only see one processor. I had to RTFM to figure that
one out. Lesson learned - do not trust the whitebox vendor to know how to
build systems correctly.

Please check your bios. Does your bios see two processors? It may be
disabled there. Also check if there's a flash for your bios. This may be a
known bug.

I'm sorry ranting on whitebox vendors. Just today I was working on a whitebox
with an Athlon processor where the processor fan was the only thing cooling
the system.

I have seen vendors ship 50% less cpus and 50% less ram. Too often I will
see misconfigured systems and shoddy workmanship. I've also seen systems
where the processors were not secured to the socket.

Unfortunately I have witnessed too many times hardware vendors blaming a
user's choice of Linux when users complain. Knowing your hardware is your
best defense against this sort of nonsense.

Thanks,
Beth Lynn