[wplug] basic ethernet help

Christopher DeMarco cdemarco at fastmail.fm
Tue Sep 21 22:28:56 EDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 10:22:10AM -0600, Mark Haney wrote:

> I am looking  for some basic  pointers/help for hooking up my laptop
> to an ethernet LAN.  My laptop is set  up to  dual boot Windows  and
> Debian

The Linux Documentation  Project is your  friend in this regard.   The
NET-HOWTO is a  bit  dated in  parts,  but the basics  haven't changed
much:

  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Net-HOWTO/index.html

Debian-specific information can be found on the Debian website itself;
c.f. (long lines)

  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-gateway.en.html

  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/ch-ctsystem.en.html#s-cnetworks
	http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-tutorial/

> Sorry  for   my cluelessness!  This  is  my  first   experience with
> ethernet.

You have,  despite your avowed  cluelessness, done at least two things
right: You demonstrated that  you've made a  headstart at  solving the
problem yourself,  and provided the results  of  your investigations -
that's why the group was so helpful.   Here is the canonical reference
on the subject:

  http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Essays/smart-questions.html

--
% You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike.
Christopher DeMarco <cdemarco at fastmail.fm>