[wplug] posters with linux?

Doug Green diego96 at mac.com
Tue Sep 21 16:52:49 EDT 2004

Thanks all for the suggestions and feedback. As usual, this group rocks
in providing quick responses!

I have made several scientific posters with LaTeX, and after thorough
evaluation, it is not sufficient for my needs. My chief complaint is
the amount of time required to assemble a poster. A poster should take
NO MORE than a couple of hours to put together. Unless you have a very
(\emph{very}) static layout for your data, using LaTeX can take much
more time than I'm willing to dedicate to a poster. If you have ever
had a compound figure nested inside columns with captions, you know
exactly what I'm talking about. Secondary complaints include very steep
learning curve for new changes, limitations of format within certain
environments, and "the usual rules for "etc.

The bottom line is that LaTeX is not a viable alternative for me. IMHO,
it's not an effective use of time. I'm mostly interested to see if
anyone has used any alternatives... would anyone be willing to share a
poster from another app for comparison? I was hoping someone come up
with a creative use for an app like Gimp, Scribus or something else?

For anyone who wants to use LaTeX, I'll be happy to share my own poster
template... just email me off-list.

Thanks again,
Doug