[wplug] basic ethernet help

Mark Haney mh4s at xinterra.com
Tue Sep 21 12:22:10 EDT 2004

Hi,

I am looking for some basic pointers/help for hooking up my laptop to
an ethernet LAN. My laptop is set up to dual boot Windows and Debian
(Sarge). When I connect the laptop to the LAN under Windows everything
just works automatically. I'm wondering how to get it to work under
Linux.

I think the PC card (Linksys EtherFast Integrated CardBus PC Card) is
being recognized and the correct driver loaded. If I do an lsmod
command I can see the tulip driver, and if I do an ifconfig -a command
I see the eth0 interface.

How do I set up the networking? Is there somewhere I can look under
Windows to get the correct settings? I think Windows is using DHCP,
because when I go to Control Panel -> Network and look at the TCP/IP
settings of my ethernet card there are no IP addresses specified
anywhere that I can see, and there is a box checked that says "Use DHCP
for WINS Resolution". Do I need to install some sort of DHCP or
ethernet package on Debian for things to work correctly?

Sorry for my cluelessness! This is my first experience with ethernet.

Mark