[wplug] Nvidia vs. ????

Carl Benedict cbenedic at pittsburghtechs.com
Tue Sep 21 00:58:10 EDT 2004

I had a similar problem with FC1 using the proprietary NVIDIA drivers.
Upon first starting the X server, the display would garble with ASCII
characters.  You would have to switch to another terminal (alt + fN) or
ssh in and kill the xinit process.  This only happened with the
proprietary drivers and only needed to be done once per boot.

Is the motherboard the only new item in the equation since this problem
started occurring?  If so, and you haven't already checked, perhaps look
at dmesg for some info about the AGP chipset and drivers.  I'm currently
running FC2, and I had to build a custom kernel to change a few default
options so that I could use the proprietary NVIDIA driver.  One of them
was changing the new 4KSTACKS kernel option - I believe it was
CONFIG_4KSTACKS.  I think you also had to either enable or disable
CONFIG_REGPARM.  Don't quote me on those, but they may aide in further
goog'ling. :)

The only other thing I can think of would be to possibly try out X.org
for your X server.  Depending on availability of packages/compiling/etc,
it might be easier just to try a different distro.

HTH

--
Carl Benedict
Pittsburgh Techs