[wplug] posters with linux?

Doug Green diego96 at mac.com
Mon Sep 20 22:54:25 EDT 2004

Hi all-

I need to produce posters that illustrate my work for scientific
meetings. These posters are usually about 48" x 36" (or greater),
output with a large-format printer. In the past I have used MS
Powerpoint, resized a "slide" to meet my specs, and incorporated text
boxes and illustrations as needed. It's a sloppy process since
powerpoint really wasn't made for poster creation. Text is sub-optimal,
figures are frequently not aligned, and images are always poor. I then
used a package for LaTeX, which gave beautiful text, but required way
WAY too much effort. It's also not optimal for a number of other
reasons... for example, you're limited to standard page sizes (such as
a0poster), it's a lot of work to make a new template, and there a big
limitations on making certain tables within column formatted posters.

I found this package called "Scribus" (see: http://www.scribus.org.uk/
) which claims to be an open source DTP (desktop publishing) app for
Linux. Has anyone used this, or have any info about it? Could this be a
solution to oversize printing needs??

I'm sure that I'm not alone in needing "poster making" software. What
have other people done?

Thanks,
Doug

gpg --recv-keys --keyserver search.keyserver.net 6128880D