[wplug] Nvidia vs. ????

Carl Benedict cbenedic at pittsburghtechs.com
Mon Sep 20 16:53:19 EDT 2004

What exactly is the problem?  What kernel version are you running?

I use the proprietary NVIDIA drivers.  Although I don't like to do that,
it seems to be the best option in some cases for getting full
functionality out of your hardware.  It's hard to play ET/UT2K4/Doom3
without these drivers.  I am running a GeForce FX 5200, which I believe
is newer than your card, so your MX420 should be supported.

<OPINION!>
The X drivers will ALWAYS be behind the proprietary drivers unless (1)
hardware vendors embrace open-source and release their source/specs to
the OSS community. or (2) some really talented folks gobble up new
hardware for the sole purpose of creating OSS drivers and do so very
well.

The 2d support in the X "nv" driver seems very solid.  If I did not want
to use hardware acceleration and other hardware-specific features for my
card, I would simply use that driver.  My experience has been that the
OSS drivers that claim to have hardware acceleration and other
functionality are still behind the proprietary drivers, which would only
make sense.  I don't think an OSS driver would meet my requirements for
speed for 3d-related things (at least not yet).

YMMV
</OPINION!>

--
Carl Benedict