[wplug] Nvidia vs. ????

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at alumni.carnegiemellon.edu
Mon Sep 20 01:56:01 EDT 2004

On Monday 20 September 2004 08:19, Robert E. Coutch wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I think this subject came up before but I couldn't seem to find out
> how to search the archives at wplug.org.
>
> I am currently using a Verto GeForce 4 MX 420 AGP card (Nvidia).
> I have been having problems with my system when XFree86 (4.3.99.902)
> is running.
> This is in combination with a new motherboard and new SuSE 9.1
> install. I have tried countless settings, driver updates and
> configurations to try and fix my problems.
> The only thing that works is to dump the proprietary nvidia driver
> and use XFree86's nv driver.
> One problem: I use 3D acceleration everytime I play Enemy Territory
> (pretty much every evening).

Ah... I'm afraid we can't have everything in this world. Both a free OS
*and* our bleeding edge video games just may be too much to ask.

> It doesn't look like there's a lot of choice in the 3D card market.
> Nvidia or ATI.
>
> I'm looking at the ATI 9200 AGP card because I read that XFree86
> supports 3D mode without using proprietary drivers but ATI cards
> above this model require them.
>
> Anyone using the ATI 9200 AGP card?  Your opinion of it?
>
> I've read online that ATI's proprietary drivers stink and that the
> XFree86 drivers have some problems. Your thoughts?

http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/9902.1/0012.html

My attitude is to stay away from proprietary stuff as much as humanly
possible. If a piece of hardware can't work properly with free
software, it's not good enough.

-A