[wplug] SOUND!

Doug Green diego96 at mac.com
Sun Sep 19 22:53:53 EDT 2004

I'm also late in responding, but I'll share my experiences as a novice
linux user. I had major problems getting sound up and running on one of
my machines until I tried Mandrake. Believe me, I was advised by
everyone about which script to modify, or which package could be
conflicting. Don't get me wrong- all the help was greatly appreciated.
Finally, I gave up and tried another distro that actually auto-detected
my hardware and worked with it (imagine THAT!).

This is NOT an endorsement for Mandrake, or any other distro out there.
My point is that you CAN get things to work with a lot of experienced
help, but sometimes it's a lot easier to just try another (preferably
"feature packed") distro... just my novice opinion. Then again, hell,
what do I know? I'm also the guy who thinks it's easier to do a new
install than to update your GCC... your milage will undoubtedly vary.

Good luck,
-D