[wplug] SOUND!

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Sun Sep 19 15:12:40 EDT 2004

> ALSA on 2.6 has 'just worked' on every sound card I've tried to use in the last
> year or so, using Fedora Core 1 and 2.  I even have a professional M-Audio card
> hooked into one of my PC's and it runs beautifully.

Okay, so by 'just worked,' you mean you removed the OSS drivers, installed
Alsa, and configured it to load the alsa drivers, and then pointed all
your programs at alsa?  Pretty much it's just the first step that I don't
think I understand there, though I have (seemed to) run into problems on
my system.  Perhaps I will try again.

> The ESD thing is tricky- ESD is a broker for your /dev/dsp and tries to
> intercept stuff, but some times latency is really bad or programs think the
> device is occupied.  For games you sometimes have to turn it off- otherwise it
> should be transparent to most of your sound applications; ditto for artsd in KDE
> apps.

So, in your 'just working' systems, do you have a facility for that
behavior?

And, of course, there is the perennial "flash player in mozilla won't play
sound" problem, for which I still haven't found a solution that works for
me (web has suggested a few that are either non-applicable, insufficiently
detailed, or unsuccessful)

> I have only one real gripe, and it's not Linux's fault- mp3 can't work out of
> the box for a truly free distribution because of patent concerns with
> Fraunhofer.

Agreed.  And I suppose I need to look at Fedora for my desktop
'windows-replacer.'

-Brandon