[wplug] File systems and Defrag

Teodorski, Chris cteodorski at mahoningcountyoh.gov
Thu Sep 16 16:10:00 EDT 2004

After a coworker read the article about Sun's new file system ZFS
(http://www.sun.com/2004-0914/feature/) a conversation about file
systems started.  The meat of the conversation revolved around why
Microsoft's OS all have file systems that need defragmenter and how come
*nix file systems do not.  From what I've read it is not so much that
*nix file systems do not fragment, but that they are virtually
unaffected by this fragmentation.  Can anyone shed any additional light
on this?  The information I've found online seems to contradict itself.

Chris