[wplug] Linux/Unix Training

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Sep 16 12:59:09 EDT 2004

"J Aaron Farr" <farra at apache.org> wrote:
> > My guess is that these people will just need trained in how to
> > interact with the operating system.  Perhaps a quick overview on
> > how to use GCC and make, then a few hours practice with the
> > operating system with someone watching over them.  Explain simple
> > proceedures like logging in (even easier with xdm/kdm/gdm).
>
> First off, I'd like to thank everyone for the many suggestions!
>
> Clarification:
>
> Most of those needing training are Java developers who develop on Windows.
>  Most of the servers they interacted with were Windows as well.  Now many
> of those servers will be Linux (probably Fedora or RHE).  Basically, we
> want the developers to still be confortable in using and working with the
> new servers.  This means basic familiarity with shell commands, linux/unix
> file system, and some basic system administration skills.  They may not
> have complete responsibility for maintaining the servers, but they will be
> interacting with them, testing and deploying applications on them, and
> might have to do some simple administration.
>
> The suggestions thus far have been great.  I was interested in knowing
> what sort of training resources were available in the area so that we
> could evaluate them.  I really appreciate eveyone's help!

Now that I know it's Java, I can make one more suggestion.

There is a PittJUG, they might have more information, specific to running
JAVA on Linux.  But, personally, I think you're right.  Java is the same
everywhere, but getting a JVM up/running on Linux is different than on
Windows, and the basic management of that system will be different.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies