[wplug] Linux/Unix Training

J Aaron Farr farra at apache.org
Thu Sep 16 12:28:06 EDT 2004

> My guess is that these people will just need trained in how to
> interact with the operating system.  Perhaps a quick overview on
> how to use GCC and make, then a few hours practice with the
> operating system with someone watching over them.  Explain simple
> proceedures like logging in (even easier with xdm/kdm/gdm).

First off, I'd like to thank everyone for the many suggestions!

Clarification:

Most of those needing training are Java developers who develop on Windows.
 Most of the servers they interacted with were Windows as well.  Now many
of those servers will be Linux (probably Fedora or RHE).  Basically, we
want the developers to still be confortable in using and working with the
new servers.  This means basic familiarity with shell commands, linux/unix
file system, and some basic system administration skills.  They may not
have complete responsibility for maintaining the servers, but they will be
interacting with them, testing and deploying applications on them, and
might have to do some simple administration.

The suggestions thus far have been great.  I was interested in knowing
what sort of training resources were available in the area so that we
could evaluate them.  I really appreciate eveyone's help!

Thanks again.
jaaron