[wplug] kernels

Jonathan S Billings billings at negate.org
Wed Sep 15 15:16:34 EDT 2004

Chris Romano wrote:
> Because the list is so quiet today, I will throw this out to everyone
> to see what they think.  I have been thinking about this lately.
>
> Will kernels become interchangable?  The next version of Novell's
> server OS will include the netware kernel and the linux kernel.  With
> the BSDs working on running Linux apps, and the possibility of Sun
> opening up Solaris, that list could grow.  Will you be able to
> download the Distro of choice and pick the kernel that you want?  So
> all the apps stay the same but just different kernels?
>
> Chris Romano

While it would be nice to be able to pick and choose your kernel, a lot
of the non-kernel userland utilities and OS components are tied to your
kernel.  For example, what is the name of the first partition on your
first IDE disk?  /dev/hda1?  /dev/ad0s1a?  Even within linux, there are
significant differences enough that the userland tools are not
compatible between major kernel releases.

I think it's a neat idea, but it would be technically difficult to do.
I've seen some attempts to replace all GNU parts of the OS with BSD
tools, because of RMS politics, and it isn't a simple task.

--
Jonathan S. Billings <billings at negate.org>